Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Friendship...

I was thinking about friendships. I am blessed to have great friendships in my life.  The thought of having a "forever friend" is such a comforting thought, but can that always be the case??? I understand the thing of “loyalty” in friendship, but if a time comes that a friendship is stopping you from doing what God has called you to do… what then?

These are some questions God has laid on my heart to ask myself… Is a friendship putting up road-blocks? Is a friendship causing me to step away from serving? Is a friend’s offense becoming my offense? Is this friendship hindering the Lord’s work? Are there bad changes that have happened so subtly that I don’t even see it? Am I ignoring words of truth from other good friends?  Are things I am hearing and believing to be truth from this friend taking precedence over what is in God’s Word? Am I putting so much stock in a friendship and being a good friend that I have replaced God with that friendship? I guess the ultimate question for me when evaluating all this is… Is this friendship making me sharper for the Lord or is it dulling my edge?

As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens
the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

It is great to have good friendships, but I always need to remember that there is no relationship in this world that is worth keeping if the cost is a broken relationship with my Heavenly Father.

I pray for loving, encouraging friendships in your life.  I pray that God puts the people in your life that will keep you on the path He has planned for you.  I pray that you will seek God as your ultimate friend.  I pray that you will make the choices that are pleasing in God's eyes. In Jesus' name.

with a grateFUL HEART, carin

No comments: