Friday, May 25, 2012

Don't Forget...

Ah, yes it is the unofficial start of summer... Memorial Day Weekend!  The weather has gotten beautiful here in northern Michigan too!  I knew I had to get this post in today or the weekend would get too busy and I would forget.  Ever notice the busier we are the easier it is to forget?

What I wanted to share today is too important to ever forget.  We set aside Memorial Day to remember those who fought and gave their lives for all of us who are blessed enough to know freedom.  With all the conflict in the world this needs to be a regular everyday part of our lives! Daily thankfulness! Do you think?

When my hubby and I went to Virginia last September, we visited the Battlefield at Gettysburg, PA.  We also visited a few places in Washington DC.  The weather was not so nice the day we were in DC, so we wanted to make sure we visited Arlington National Cemetery first.  It was such a moving experience for both of us.  It was pouring down rain while we stood under the over-hang of the amphitheater while we watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Shortly before that I had been complaining about the rain and how it was going to ruin our day.  As I stood there watching the guards marching back and forth in front of the tomb I was so convicted... tears started streaming down my face.  How could I have the nerve to complain about wet clothes and feet as I stood in such a hallowed place?  That was a changing moment for me... big time!  I asked God to forgive me for my selfishness... for my inconsideration! Then I praised Him for letting me grow up where I have the right to praise Him!  It was a good lesson learned for me.
On the tomb it says, "HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD"

with a grateFUL HEART, carin

No comments: